2 days ago You have 6 different oscillator configurations and realtime filter and amplitude controls for some genuine synth action. It’s somehow ironic that Korg has just announced the miniKORG 700 FS that was designed to sit on top of a Hammond organ to provide easy access to that sought after synth lead sound favoured by organ players. Designed by American engineer Robert Moog, the synthesizer was composed of separate modules which created and shaped sounds, connected by patch cords. Moog developed a means of controlling pitch through voltage, the voltage-controlled oscillator.
The Hammond B3 organ.
Additive synthesis at its best !
Suitable for Jazz, Rock, Gospel, Blues, Ballad, House, Funk, Cheesy reprise of anything, Ballad, Dance, Pop, Hard Rock, etc.
Some history here : http://theatreorgans.com/grounds/docs/history.html + some facts
i have selected 7 free drawbar organ VSTi emulations of the Hammond B3.
Let’s groove :
1. AZR3 by Rumpelrausch
Not only free, it’s also open source.
This is a very good drawbar emulation, with onboard FX, nice saturation, and the speaker leslie emulation. Perfect for emulating gospel organ and rock organ. And check the “NHL” preset!
As all the other plugins in this list are 32 bit, it could be nice to compile a 64 bit version.
** EDIT** => here is the 64 bit version for Windows : download Azr3 B3 organ VST 64 bit
and the sources
There’s also a MAC version here
2. Organized Trio
Organized Trio VST
Present in the same package as “Mr Ray”, it’s the perfect companion for your funky tracks.
And of course it can do the perc dance organ “ala” Korg M1 :
3. NubiPlus by fxPointAudio
http://www.fxpointaudio.com/ & download
Nubi Plus VSTi come with a VST FX for adding the Leslie effect : Spinner VST. The two make a super groovy combo, and gives you this nice Hammond B3 organ sound.
She’s just like you and me, but she’s homeless:
4. DirtBag and LightBag by Istvan Kaldor
LightBag II VST
Good old Synthedit creations : the sound is dirty like it should. You get a nasty B3 organ sound in an instant. Leslie speaker effect is included. There are also some nice reed emulation sounds. And some crazy wicked presets in dirtbag too!
Whiter shade of Dirtbag :
5. Euthymia VST by Iliadis
This free organ VST has a clean sound. You can add a Leslie speaker as free external effect : iSpinner VST
6. OddlyOrgan by OdO
A little more synthetic, you can go creative with this VST !
You can also find other organ VSTis made by OdO
7. VL122 by AM Music Technology
info & download
Discontinued & free drawbar organ : it sounds nice, it’s clean.
You can switch off the motor !
It includes the famous Leslie effect, and also a reverb.
+ a tube/drive effect for more dirty sound.
Cool jazz organ presets.
Wherever your music takes you - We’ll meet you there !
Hammond’s SK-series Stage Keyboards set the standard for lightweight, stage keyboards with just the right mix of features for any player, regardless of genre.
Hammond’s all-new SK PRO advances and refines the “SK” concept, bringing unprecedented tonal versatility and functionality combined with logical real-time controls.
Enjoy this new experience and discover your own sounds !
- DRAWBAR ORGAN SECTION derived from the TOP-OF-THE-LINE XK–5.
- EXPANDED TRANSISTOR and PIPE ORGAN voices.
- PIANO SECTION with a wide variety of keyboard instruments,including high-resolution Grand and Electric Piano sounds.
- ENSEMBLE SECTION with essential Brass, Reed, String, Choir and Percussion instruments.
- ANALOG-MODELLED MONO SYNTH SECTION.
- PITCH BEND and MODULATION WHEELS.
- DIRECT POWER CONNECTION (no external Power-adapter).
- MULTIPLE, ASSIGNABLE, OUTPUTS, with discrete Organ and Bass outputs.
- 11-PIN LESLIE JACK.
- ON-BOARD BULK STORAGE for all programming.
- USB TYPE “A” and “B” PORTS for USB MIDI and MASS STORAGE functions.
- SEAMLESS SWITCHING of PIANO / ENSEMBLE tones while playing.
- PATCHES, COMBINATIONS and CENTRALLY LOCATED FAVORITE/ALLOCATEbuttons for quick and easy access to performance needs.
- LARGE COLOR DISPLAY giving the player essentialinformation on the instrument instantly.
Hammond Synth Auto Patch
The SK PRO is equipped with FOUR (4) Sound Engines which can be used separatelyor in any combination. All samples are at a higher resolution than the previous SK-series.
- The SK PRO incorporates the state-of-the-art “Modelled Tone Wheel 1” (MTW1) sound engine pioneered by the Hammond XK–5 Organ, recognized everywhere as the standard in digital “tone wheel” sound.
- The newly developed Virtual Multi-Contact system replicates the keyboard performance of a vintage Hammond Organ, allowing the player to experience the distinctive Hammond “feel” in every detail. F or even greater versatility, our optional Hammond MIDI Pedalboards such as XPK–130G, XPK–200G or XPK–200GL can trigger this Virtual Multi-Contact system for the pedal sound.
- A built-in new-generation Digital Leslie brings deeper authenticity, including the airflow of Leslie rotors , faithfully reproducing the Leslie’s unique tone and three-dimensional effect.
- A new tube modeling system provides the essential Hammond “tube-warmth'.
- A special system emulating the Matching Transformer of a vintage Hammond Organ adds striking authenticity to the Hammond Drawbar tones.
- In addition to the great Drawbar sounds, the SK PRO also models the Italian, British and Japanese transistorized Combo Organs which have come back into style in today’s music.
- The player can also call upon a full range of Classical Pipe Organ Voices, and for the first time in any modern keyboard a range of Theatre Pipe Organ Voices is now included.
The SK PRO incorporates a brand-new physical-modelling Synthesizer faithfully reproducing the sounds of classic analog synthesizers. Six (6) different Oscillator configurations are provided, as well as controls for Filter and Amplitude allowing the player to create sounds in real-time just as on a classic analog synth.
- NEW on the SK PRO: All Piano/Ensemble voices can be FULLY EDITED. Sample choice, EG, Filter, LFO and other parameters are now in your control and can be saved as a Patch.
- The SK PRO contains high-quality samples of the world’s leading Grand Piano sounds, including a brand-new sample of a legendary Concert Grand Piano.
- High-definition digital voices (upgraded in resolution from previous SK models) provide a wide variety of tonal possibilities, many of them new to the SK-series . All Voices have been carefully chosen for real-world musical performance usefulness.
- 12 Category Buttons allow easy and instant tone selection.
- Hammond’s exclusive ProChord feature permits the player to re produce complex harmonies by playing a single-note melody with the right hand and chords with the left hand.
The panel of the SK PRO is an eye-catching “British Racing Green” color that will blend inany environment.
The basic voice unit of the SK PRO is a “Patch.” which stores the source sound or sounds and all programming for each sound. There are Factory and User Patches available - 100 of each for the ORGAN and MONO SYNTH Sections and 300 Factory / 400 User for the PIANO and ENSEMBLE Sections.
Combinations and Favorites
The SK PRO introduces Combinations, combining sounds (“Patches”) from any or all of the four tonal sections, along with the desired performance parameters required for those sounds. Combinations “set the scene” for each performance, and may be changed in an instant.You can even assign external MIDI instruments to these Combinations. In conjunction with the 4 ALLOCATION buttons located in the center of the keyboard, the player can call up any part of a Combination in real-time, giving the equivalent of FOUR (4) discrete key boards.200 Combinations are available (100 Factory and 100 User). Any ten (10) of these may be assigned to the F AVORITES buttons (as on previous SK instruments) for instant access. The role of the Favorites has been expanded to include Ten (10) Banks with 10 Favorites each are available, making a total of 100 Favorites easily and quickly called up.
The SK PRO incorporates Pitch Bend and Modulation Wheels, giving the player theability to add full expressiveness to the music. Each Voice Section has an individual VolumeControl allowing the different Sections to be balanced against each other in real time.
Hammond Synth Auto Patches
The SK PRO includes LINE OUT left & right jacks as well as a HE ADPHONE jack and an AUX IN jack with its own volume control for connecting an external sound source such as a music player. In addition, individual outputs allow the assignment of the PIANO, ENSEMBLE or MONO SYNTH Sections to two separate audio outputs.ROTARY OUT and ORGAN PEDAL (BASS) OUT jacks are provided.
Each of the 4 Voice Sections can receive Overdrive and 2 types of comprehensive DSPMulti-Effects. All of the DSP Effects listed below can be saved as part of a Patch:
Overdrive: Tube, Solid, Clip, EP Amp.
Multi-effect 1: Tremolo, Wah-Wah, Ring Modulator, Compressor
Multi-effect 2: Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Delay, Auto Pan